Colored gemstones are great for making jewelry stand out, and there are some versatile ones you can wear every day. We’ll look at a few popular gemstones to choose from. Generally, your best choices are those that resist wear and damage (the more durable stones rank high on the Mohs hardness scale).
However, a gemstone’s hardness isn’t the only quality that impacts its versatility. While hardness refers to a stone’s resistance to scratching, toughness determines its resistance to breaking. Both are important in finding the best gemstones for everyday wear. Here are a few gems to consider, plus some tips for caring for them.
Gemstones Suited for Everyday Wear
The most durable gemstones that hold up in just about any setting include:
- Diamond: It’s hard to list versatile gemstones without mentioning diamonds. They score a 10 on the Mohs scale and pair well with any type of metal (but are not unbreakable). Diamonds can also be combined with virtually any other gem.
- Jadeite: While diamonds are the hardest stones, jadeite is the toughest. It ranks 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale but is exceptionally strong due to firmly interlocked crystals. Typically green, jadeite is found in a wide range of colors and is translucent to transparent.
- Ruby and Sapphire: Rubies are red and sapphires are blue (mostly, but sapphires come in every color except red). They are both the same type of gemstone and rank a 9 on the Mohs scale. They are also highly scratch- and fracture-resistant.
- Emerald: Emeralds are among the most versatile gemstones. The brilliant green hue is a trademark characteristic, but wearers should note their susceptibility to cracking or breaking along inclusions and micro-fractures.
- Amethyst: A 7 on the Mohs scale, amethysts are relatively durable for everyday wear. They come in beautiful shades of violet and are suited for necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and many other types of jewelry.
- Citrine: Citrine is also a popular gemstone because it can be worn daily. Its golden yellow color provides a subtle touch to a jewelry piece you wear often.
- Quartz: Aside from amethyst, other types of quartz include smoky quartz and rose quartz, so there are a few options for one of the best gemstones for everyday wear.
- Garnet: The various types of garnet are quite durable and don’t scratch easily. It takes a strong force to fracture or chip the stone, which ranges mostly from scarlet-red to red-orange.
- Peridot: A delicate green contributes to the elegance of peridot stones. They’re relatively resistant to scratches and fractures but shouldn’t get banged around too much.
- Tanzanite: Despite having the hardness of amethyst or peridot, tanzanite does fracture more easily. If well-worn and cared for, it is just fine for everyday wear.
Some settings also protect gemstones. For example, a bezel setting encloses much of the stone, which helps make it more durable.
Versatile Gemstones That Need Extra Care
Some popular gemstones aren’t known for their hardness but are quite versatile when it comes to style and design. Pearls are one example. They can be included in any type of jewelry. Nonetheless, pearls vary in strength and scratch resistance depending on how they’re treated and prepared before being set. If you wear pearl necklaces or earrings daily, keep sharp materials away from them.
Moonstone is another example of a versatile gem that needs extra care. Although it’s relatively hard, it fractures easily, so try not to drop this stone. If you wear Ethiopian opal, avoid submerging it in water or other liquids as it will change color. Sometimes, this color change is permanent. Many people like the mesmerizing qualities of amber; being relatively soft, it’s better for short necklaces and small earrings.
Caring for Your Gemstones
To ensure proper care for your jewelry and protect your gemstone every day, the following tips can help:
- Store each item in its own box or pouch
- Avoid dropping jewelry or hitting it against hard surfaces
- Clean your jewelry with mild soap and warm water
- Do not expose gemstones/metals to harsh chemicals
- Avoid wearing jewelry while swimming
- Wipe items clean with a soft cloth
- Put on gemstone jewelry after applying lotion or perfume
Shop for Popular Gemstone Jewelry at Jeweler’s Touch
If you’re seeking jewelry with the best gemstones for everyday wear we’ve mentioned, browse online at Jewelers Touch or visit our store in person. We have rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry from many top brands and collections. Our jewelry professionals can help you choose a gemstone that suits your needs, preferences, and budget. To learn more or make an appointment, call (714) 579-1616.