The coronavirus pandemic has not just disrupted people’s professional lives but has managed to throw a wrench in the love lives of thousands. Springtime is a popular season for weddings, but with social distancing guidelines still in place it has forced couples to come up with more inventive ways to commemorate their union.
Couples painstakingly plan for months, even years, to create the perfect atmosphere for friends and family to congregate for their wedding day. While largescale weddings have been mostly canceled or postponed due to COVID-19 concerns, some lovebirds have turned to online video conferencing technology as a way to go through with their nuptials.
Platforms like the cloud-based, peer-to-peer software Zoom have skyrocketed in popularity with people trying to connect while socially distancing. This now includes couples wanting to throw virtual wedding ceremonies so they can tie the knot online, giving their family and friends the opportunity to stream it in real-time.
Virtual Wedding Ceremonies Now Legal in California!
On April 30th, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order that will now allow adults to obtain their marriage license using video conferencing platforms. However there are some guidelines. If you want to obtain your marriage license online here are a few things you’ll want to know…
- Must be 18 years old to get married in the state of California.
- All virtual marriage licenses will be processed at the discretion of the local county clerk.
- Both adults that are wanting to be married need to be residents of California.
- Both adults must be present during the video conference and be able to show valid identification.
- When all is approved, your marriage certificate will be emailed to you.
- The executive order is in place for the next 60 days, but may be amended at a later date.
Simple Step-By-Step Guide for Throwing a Virtual Wedding
Couples who wish to have a virtual wedding and live stream it for friends and family to view are asked to have one witness physically present to make it official. If you are aiming to plan the virtual wedding of their dreams, here is a step-by-step guide on how to get it right.
- Contact the Local County Clerk’s Office - As stated before, the Governor’s executive order allows those that want to use video conferencing to obtain a marriage license, but the final decision is made by your county’s clear of the court. Be sure to call ahead or email them to be certain that your virtual wedding will be legally binding. Once you know that your county will honor the marriage certificate, you’re ready to start planning the wedding ceremony.
- Choose the Right Platform for You - There are a wide variety of streaming services and video conferencing platforms to choose from, all with their drawbacks and perks. You may want to select a platform that you’re previously familiar with so you don’t get overwhelmed. Platforms that have video conferencing and streaming capabilities include Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facebook, Skype, and Instagram Live.
- Create Online Invitations for Your Guests - Traditional invitations are not needed for your virtual wedding. Choose an e-card or e-vite service to customize and email your invitations to guests. Remember to include the link to the Zoom meeting along with any login IDs your guests may need. If you are using Google Hangouts, you will be able to send invitations through Gmail.
- Wedding Attire - This is the fun part. Unconventional times call for unconventional attire. Be inventive, all bets are off. You’re already having a virtual wedding so you can choose to set your wedding dress or tuxedo aside and wear something more casual. A silk slip dress or even some wedding-themed pajamas, it’s up to you. You may find that your virtual wedding feels more intimate and real than a traditional wedding. Enjoy.
- DIY Hair & Makeup - Hair salons are still closed due to the ongoing pandemic. Unless your witness or pastor doubles as a stylist and can properly protect themselves, you’ll have to beautify on your own. But don’t panic. This can be made easier if you choose a hairstyle and look that is easy to execute. There are millions of makeup and hairstyling tutorials that you can reference on YouTube so you can get dolled up from the safety of your home.
- Create the Perfect Atmosphere - Time to create the ideal ambiance for your virtual wedding. Depending on where you live, some florists may still be open for curbside pickup or delivery. You may find a florist that is willing to come and decorate as long as they are permitted to do so while socially distancing. Get creative and have fun with it. Another idea is to purchase a tapestry or backdrop that you can display behind a makeshift altar. Use string lighting when possible if you are having a virtual wedding indoors or at night.
- Don’t Forget the Wedding Bands - You can’t possibly have a wedding, virtual or not, without proper bridal bands. If you are currently planning your nuptials and need to buy high-quality wedding bands you’ll need a jeweler you can trust. With a large selection of bridal jewelry and engagement rings, Jeweler’s Touch can pair you with the perfect set of wedding bands to honor your commitment to each other.
Jeweler’s Touch Is Now Open for Curbside Service & Virtual Appointments
Our new business hours are Tue-Sat 10AM-3PM
In keeping with the theme of a slow, safe and gradual return to business as usual, we’ll be offering curbside pick-up and drop-off, as well as virtual jewelry consultations via video conferencing technology. If you have a 14th Wedding Anniversary gift to purchase or a piece of jewelry, whether it be a watch, wedding ring or necklace, that needs to be polished, appraised, or professionally resized, you can do so with our convenient curbside jewelry service.
Since Jeweler’s Touch opened its doors in 1992, our team of GIA certified gemologists, accredited jewelry professionals, and skilled goldsmiths have been offering clients high fashion jewelry and exceptional wedding anniversary gifts to punctuate the most memorable times in your life. You can rest assured that you are receiving the highest quality gemstones and educated jewelry advice from Jeweler’s Touch.
You are also welcomed to call and leave us a message at (714) 579-1616. We appreciate all of our customers and look forward to reopening and seeing you all very soon. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates.