Posted on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020 at 11:31 am by Ad
Unfortunately, not all jewelers are created equal. Just like other professions, there are those that give the industry a bad name by misleading consumers on the quality of craftsmanship or caliber of service. Finding a trustworthy jeweler may take a little bit of finesse, some crafty internet sleuthing, but if you put forth the effort you will find a trustworthy jeweler who can help advise you for years to come.
Having a good jeweler in your back pocket is actually pretty important. Not only will you need their knowledge and level of expertise when buying jewelry for some of your life’s most major moments, but it is nice to know that when you want to invest in quality jewelry or diamonds, you can feel good about your purchase.
But how is one to know that the jeweler you’re hoping to work with is as knowledgeable and honest as they are claiming to be? To go even further, how can you be expected to find a trustworthy jeweler in your area?
Knowing the right questions to ask is key. An informed consumer is a nightmare for dishonest jewelers. It isn’t hard to become well-versed in jeweler lingo either. By the end of this article, you’ll be equipped with all the information you’ll need to find an honest jeweler that has your best interests in mind.
How to Choose the Best Jeweler in Your Area
- Word-of-Mouth Is Still a Trusted Approach - Believe it or not, even in the age of social media and Yelpers, people still find quality jewelers by way of recommendation. The jewelry industry is mostly still about relationships. If a jeweler is known to be crooked or deceptive it is likely the bad word will travel. Don’t be shy to reach out to local friends and family, or even neighbors, to find out if they can recommend a good jeweler in the same area. You may be surprised to get more than one solid lead.
- Read Reviews. The Good & The Bad - This goes without saying. If you have a list of jewelers that you are considering, you should absolutely go on a deep dive to find reviews both good and bad. That means checking on multiple review websites like Google My Business, Yelp, and Facebook. The best part about Yelp is that no matter what they do, they can’t erase bad reviews if they are legitimate. It isn’t to say that you should base your decision solely on a few poor reviews on Yelp, but it does offer some insight into how they operate their business and how they treat their customers.
- Check With the Better Business Bureau (BBB) - The BBB has been around for some time now and is known for their accuracy. It actually is relatively difficult for everyday complaints to stick on the BBB website. So, if you see some negative marks on a jewelry store posted on the Better Business Bureau, it is probably best to move along to the next jeweler on your list.
- Ask to Meet Their Pros - This is a pretty common request. Any upstanding jeweler will not only be forthcoming and accommodating, but they’ll be over the moon to show off their store’s expert jewelers and gemologists. If there is any pushback and your request is met with opposition, then it is probably an indicator this isn’t the jeweler for you. Trustworthy jewelers take pride in the team they have assembled and would jump at the chance to share that with potential customers.
- Know What Questions to Ask - If you happen to physically walk into a jewelry store, ask if you can speak with their GG. This is jeweler slang for Graduate Gemologist. Any reputable jewelry store should have certified specialists on staff to handle any questions you may have. Ask to see their credentials. That should be an easy request to fulfill. Some important initialisms to look out for are, GG, RJ, CG, CSA, or CJAP. This will at least give the illusion that you know your stuff.
- Inquire About Post-Purchase Perks - Most trustworthy jewelers have incentive programs or port-purchase perks that their customers enjoy. For example, Jeweler’s Touch offers a Lifetime Warranty on Bridal Rings. When you buy an engagement ring or wedding band from Jeweler’s Touch, they will care for it as if it is our own, for a lifetime! All maintenance like resizing, cleaning and polishing is included in our free lifetime warranty with the purchase of any bridal ring. Another post-purchase perk they offer is their Diamond Lifetime Trade-In Credit. These are just examples of what kind of customer service incentives you should find at any reputable jeweler.
Knowing the right questions to ask is half the battle. If you feel like something is off or you’re having any doubts, trust your gut. Don’t be frustrated if you have to go to several jewelers before landing on the right one. After all, you’ll want to keep the same jeweler for a lifetime, if possible. Also, understand that quality jewelry is an investment and a purchase that shouldn’t be taken lightly. You want to ensure that you’re getting the most for your money and not buying subpar gemstones. If you do your research, you should have no problem finding the best jeweler in your area.
Start new traditions with Jeweler’s Touch. We specialize in both traditional and non-diamond engagement rings. For the highest quality gemstones and conflict-free diamonds, come in to visit the best Jeweler in Orange County: (714) 868-7556